European Union Citizens
European Union, Norway, Brazil, Switzerland, Iceland and Liechtenstein citizens do not need a visa to enter in Portugal, being sufficient to present a valid identification document or passport, issued by the country of origin.
When they intend to live in Portugal for a period of more than three months, they must apply for a Certificate of Registration with the City Council of the Portuguese area of residence, within 30 days after the end of the three months of residence, in order to formalize the right of residence in Portugal.
After 5 consecutive years of obtaining the Registration Certificate, its holders may request a certificate of permanent residence, which will be issued by the Foreigners and Borders Service (SEF).
Citizens of countries outside the European Union
In order to enter in Portuguese territory, these citizens must have a valid and adequate permit for the purpose of travel, a travel document recognized as valid and not be subject to any alert issued on the SEF Integrated Information System or the Schengen Information System.
Third-country nationals who want to live in Portugal must apply for a residence permit at the Portuguese embassy in their country of residence. This document allows its holder to stay in Portugal for a period of 4 months, in order to apply for a permanent residence permit, which is issued by SEF. There are several subtypes of residence permits:
- Exercise of professional activity
- Exercise of teaching activity, highly qualified or cultural
- Exercício de atividade docente, altamente qualificada ou cultural
- Research, study, exchange of higher education students, secondary education students, internship and volunteering
- Family reunification
Residence Permit for Investment Activity
The Residence Permit for Investment Activity, better known as a gold visa, is a quick solution (about 60 days) for people from third countries to obtain a residence permit in Portugal, as well as the right of free movement in Portugal and in the other countries of the Schengen area.
In addition to the general requirements for residence permits, gold visas require holders to comply with the obligation to invest in Portugal, taking into account various conditions.
The residence permit is renewed for periods of 2 years, as long as the applicant proves the maintenance of any of the above investment requirements.
The holder of a gold visa may benefit from special taxation applicable to non-habitual residents and is entitled to request family reunification.
Residence Permit for Investment Activity Como obter
Gold visas can be requested online ( https://ari.sef.pt ), at SEF offices, at Portuguese consulates or embassies located abroad. To this end, the applicant must:
- Being physically present in Portugal, having or renting a residence in Portugal and having sufficient means to support themselves
- Register with the Portuguese Social Security in cases where the business activity carried out in Portugal is subject to registration
- Not having been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment in Portugal for 1 year or more or with a ban on entering Portugal
- Not being marked in the Schengen Information System or the SEF Integrated Information System as prohibited from entering and staying in Portugal
- Have a valid Schengen visa
- Request the legalization of your stay in Portugal within 90 days from the date of first entry into Portugal